Another Animal

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Barney

Another Animal

Post by Barney »

Here's a BA i've built for a friend, 99v 1:4 JLM input transformer.

Great pre's, highly recommended.

BL

[/img]

astrovic

Post by astrovic »

nice....love the "Loveland Enterprises" touch!

poserp

Post by poserp »

I like this build, too -- is that an off-the-shelf chassis? I like that there's enough space in there to put an output transformer.

Barney

Post by Barney »

Yes a hammond enclosure, can find the part number somewhere if you like.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

These are a couple of BA1's we have made in the Hammond cases.

I like these cases but they are not cheap and the screws strip easy and come loose so we change them to longer different type ones to keep the box together tightly.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Barney

Post by Barney »

Wow, well i feel like i've walked into a Neve factory with a B%!^@*&. How smokin does that look! Don't happen to have the files for the engraving handy?

astrovic

Post by astrovic »

Hardly, Barney - your unit is top notch. Unlike us mere mortals, Joe has to make his look godlike :D

I do like the push button switch on Joe's - is that switch illuminating, Joe?

poserp

Post by poserp »

I looked through the Hammond site and saw the case. I also saw that they had some extruded aluminum cases that are closer to what I want to do, something like 6"x8"x2". Those are available for $25, not really cheap but I don't plan on doing too much gear (just, you know, a mixer, some eqs, a couple of compressors, a few routing boxes, maybe some a-d-a converters, a lamborghini...), it's still cheaper than buying stuff pre-made off-the-shelf. IIRC my current Baby Animal build uses one of their plastic cases. One thing that's cool about the extruded aluminum is they also have plastic faceplates, so you can try out a few designs before committing to metal, or if you don't have the tools you still get a metal chassis with plastic endcaps that are easier to work with. Anyways, I really like the look of both of these builds and the extruded aluminum adds a nice utilitarian touch (like something you'd find in the back of a minimog). I was thinking these could also look nice mounted in the same kind of boxes that Radial uses (too bad those aren't available for DIY).

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

How smokin does that look! Don't happen to have the files for the engraving handy?
:D Yes what format would you like the engraving file in?
I do like the push button switch on Joe's - is that switch illuminating, Joe?
Yes it is the same Red led switch used in the HAL project prototype box.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

haima

Post by haima »

NICE!

did you engrave that in-house joe? i seem to remember matt saying something about you getting a milling machine... CNC?

engraving does look very sweet - often looks better than screen printing, in my opinion...

BTW are you still going to do the the half-rack cases? that would be very nice...

haima