Page 2 of 8

Re: Regurgitator - basis for active mic splitter?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:19 am
by Joe Malone
aevan wrote:Hi Joe, ever thought of making a kit active mic splitter? Maybe the regurgitator could be the basis for it?
I don't know if there's a lot of call for one, or if people prefer passive splits, bit it seems the reason a lot of people use passives
is because of the cost involved to buy actives.
Just a thought, as I'm currently building a 16 way passive but would have loved a diy active alternative.
Cheers.
For most modern mic splits nothing is needed at all except to leave off pin 1 on the second XLR outputs if hum loops are likely.

While active splits can be good in big live gig splits it is not recommended for recording as any active circuit running as low mic levels will add noise.

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:03 pm
by wizardofoz
Joe...looking for something to make a hybrid telephone interface to record from and play back to a telephone connection.

considering 2 Reguritator one for in and one for out, connected up to a circuit like this

Image

do you think this would work? can you think of anything else in your box of tricks that might be useful to add? maybe the headamp and some mix for the signals?

It's for a studio setup to record a teleconference call with the idea being to cut off the rec/txmit like a half duplex operation so the 2 parties cant talk over one another at least as far as the recoding is concerned. The studio room would be mic'd with the party using headphones for listening.

anyone else got an thoughts? also looking to switch the in/out on the phone side to optionally connect to other phones with heatset options etc or even perhaps iPhones etc

would you have a transformer that would be suitable for the above diagram? or should I just use a simple 600:600 CT from the likes of RS

I am trying to replicate something like this...

Image

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:55 am
by Jonk
Hey Joe,

Is the purpose of the regurgitator to convert, say, modern impedance outputs so they play nice with 600 ohm inputs, like on the LA2A, Pultec etc?

That would be extremely handy if so. I haven't found a lot of options around for that sort of thing.

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:39 pm
by noise13
If I only need this conversion:

ubalanced Line signal --> +/- Gain adjustment --> to balanced Line signal

Can I leave out any parts; resistors, capacitors, etc...? (If yes, then which parts?)
Or should always be soldered all the parts (?)

n13

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:48 pm
by Joe Malone
noise13 wrote:If I only need this conversion:

ubalanced Line signal --> +/- Gain adjustment --> to balanced Line signal

Can I leave out any parts; resistors, capacitors, etc...? (If yes, then which parts?)
Or should always be soldered all the parts (?)

n13
You need all parts fitted and soldered to the PCB except for the zener diodes if you have correct +/-rails already.

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:55 pm
by Sammas
Hey Joe!

Would the regurgitator kit be a good candidate for adding balanced direct outputs to Neve 34128 channels?

The plan is the take the signal from pin 22 - it is just before the pan point on the schematic (top right corner),
and run it out through the regurgitator. Unbalanced in to balanced out.

Would I require anything between pin 22 and the regurgitator? Or will the regurgitator happily interface with the output of IC5. It is a 5532 from memory.


Here is the schematic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ep2ymj4t6dlpicb/NEVE.jpg


Image

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 am
by Joe Malone
Sammas wrote:Hey Joe!

Would the regurgitator kit be a good candidate for adding balanced direct outputs to Neve 34128 channels?

The plan is the take the signal from pin 22 - it is just before the pan point on the schematic (top right corner),
and run it out through the regurgitator. Unbalanced in to balanced out.

Would I require anything between pin 22 and the regurgitator? Or will the regurgitator happily interface with the output of IC5. It is a 5532 from memory.
That will work perfect. Just wire pin 22 to regurgitator +in and use the +/-15v in the console to power the regurgitator.

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:04 pm
by Sammas
Thanks Joe!

:D

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:34 am
by theaterguy
Could the regurgitators be used as a summing make-up gain amp? I have four input modules from an old broadcast desk, each have unbal post fader/pan L+R outputs. I'd like to sum those as L+R. With suitable resistors they could be summed and gain lifted?
Or something else?

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:31 pm
by Joe Malone
theaterguy wrote:Could the regurgitators be used as a summing make-up gain amp? I have four input modules from an old broadcast desk, each have unbal post fader/pan L+R outputs. I'd like to sum those as L+R. With suitable resistors they could be summed and gain lifted?
Or something else?
Yes can be done easily. Just need to know the pan pot value and arrangement (single or dual pot) and summing resistors to work out the best way.

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:23 am
by theaterguy
Joe Malone wrote:
theaterguy wrote:Could the regurgitators be used as a summing make-up gain amp? I have four input modules from an old broadcast desk, each have unbal post fader/pan L+R outputs. I'd like to sum those as L+R. With suitable resistors they could be summed and gain lifted?
Or something else?
Yes can be done easily. Just need to know the pan pot value and arrangement (single or dual pot) and summing resistors to work out the best way.
Thanks, each output (L&R) is buffered by 5534's, and then fed via 22uF and 3K65 to output pins. I think these could be used stand alone as they are now. I basically like'd to do a two four-to-one sums from left and right signals.

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:33 am
by Joe Malone
theaterguy wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:
theaterguy wrote:Could the regurgitators be used as a summing make-up gain amp? I have four input modules from an old broadcast desk, each have unbal post fader/pan L+R outputs. I'd like to sum those as L+R. With suitable resistors they could be summed and gain lifted?
Or something else?
Yes can be done easily. Just need to know the pan pot value and arrangement (single or dual pot) and summing resistors to work out the best way.
Thanks, each output (L&R) is buffered by 5534's, and then fed via 22uF and 3K65 to output pins. I think these could be used stand alone as they are now. I basically like'd to do a two four-to-one sums from left and right signals.
Perfect. Just connect the 4 x L and run into +in on regurgitator (link -IN to 0v) and adjust trim pot for required makeup gain and do the same for R outs. If you want a stereo master output fader use 2 x dingo pup kits instead as this will give you a unbalanced insert point for a fader as well.

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:16 pm
by theaterguy
Joe Malone wrote:
theaterguy wrote:
Thanks, each output (L&R) is buffered by 5534's, and then fed via 22uF and 3K65 to output pins. I think these could be used stand alone as they are now. I basically like'd to do a two four-to-one sums from left and right signals.
Perfect. Just connect the 4 x L and run into +in on regurgitator (link -IN to 0v) and adjust trim pot for required makeup gain and do the same for R outs. If you want a stereo master output fader use 2 x dingo pup kits instead as this will give you a unbalanced insert point for a fader as well.
So, the 3K65s are enough to isolate the outputs and no shunt resistors (sum to ground) is needed? Great!

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:42 am
by Joe Malone
theaterguy wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:
theaterguy wrote:
Thanks, each output (L&R) is buffered by 5534's, and then fed via 22uF and 3K65 to output pins. I think these could be used stand alone as they are now. I basically like'd to do a two four-to-one sums from left and right signals.
Perfect. Just connect the 4 x L and run into +in on regurgitator (link -IN to 0v) and adjust trim pot for required makeup gain and do the same for R outs. If you want a stereo master output fader use 2 x dingo pup kits instead as this will give you a unbalanced insert point for a fader as well.
So, the 3K65s are enough to isolate the outputs and no shunt resistors (sum to ground) is needed? Great!
If you want to do the best virtual ground summing use the dingo pup and I can draw the resistor change needed to give you unity virtual ground summing for best crosstalk and you still will have a master fader and balanced output amp all on the dingo pup.

Re: Regurgitator kit Build Thread

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:39 pm
by craigmorris74
Could this kit be used as a makeup gain stage for a passive EQ?

Thanks,
Craig