Powerstation supply voltages creeping

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

desol

Powerstation supply voltages creeping

Post by desol »

Hey Joe,

I have a powerstation powering eight 1290's. I've noticed that the supply voltages seem to be creeping upwards.

I'll set them for 24.05...use the pre's/test them..etc. Shut them off for a day, turn the power supply back on the next day...and the voltages are up around 24.40? I think this throws my bias off as well... After a while, they will creep back down, but not to where i originally set them...24.05, it will be something different...like 24.14 or something...so i have to keep readjusting them all the time...what do you think is going on here?

Is there a burn in period? I think those are Cermet trimmers...so they should stay put? Any advice/suggestions?
Should i worry about it?

Thanks
Darrick

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: Powerstation supply voltages creeping

Post by Joe Malone »

The actual voltage is temperature dependant. So the final adjustment should be done after the whole power supply and audio equipment load has been on for about 30 minutes. The variation you mention is still less than 1% and will not affect the neve 1290 at all over that range. Main thing is to make sure the regulators are well heatsinked with a large heatsink so they stay more temperature stable. See the JLM calculator on the powerstation kit build thread to work out if you have a big enough heatsink fitted.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

desol

Re: Powerstation supply voltages creeping

Post by desol »

Thanks Joe. I have them bolted to the case, so they're pretty cool under load. I'll try adjusting them after they've been on for a bit...

Darrick