Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

VUPPMGR40v2 kit (40 Led PPM/VU/GR Meter kit) BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

OLD Ver 2 kit not for new builds

Available now on JLM web shop here

40 Led Meter displays PPM and VU ballistics with peak hold at the same time. Also can be switched to show CV gain reduction.

•40 x 1dB steps
•Shows PPM in red with peak hold.
•Shows VU in Green with peak hold.
•Balanced/Unbalanced input with front level adjustment.
•PCB 106mm(4.2") x 50.4mm(2")
•PCBs can be stacked 15mm apart with hex threaded spacers.
•Can be powered from +/-12vdc to +/-24vdc (less than 50mA total current draw all leds lit).
•Can have on board tiny 24vdc to 5vdc SMPS or +5v can be supplied externally.

Software version 1.0
SW terminal switched to 0v to switch to CV input for input on back terminals for Gain reduction.

IDC header which can daisy chained to other 40 led PPM/VU/GR PCBs

1.Jumper for switching to CV input. (Linked to SW terminal)
2.Jumper for Peak hold lock with reset when jumper shorted. If jumper left on then defaults to peak hold with decay drop back.
3.Jumper for turn off VU peak hold.
4.Jumper for direction change of meter right to left / Left to right
5.Jumper for CV voltage change from 0v to 5v to 5v to 0v. (CV input must be driven by 1k to 2k series resistor to protect the PIC)
(All jumpers can be switched or changed on the fly)(Jumper 1 is closest to the SW terminal)
e.g You can switch direction and to CV input to have a Gain reduction meter that travels in the reverse direction to the VUPPM meter.

VUPPM Assembly
The VUPPM has all parts values on the PCB overlay and is a normal build from the lowest to tallest height component.
Only component changes that need to be done depending on power supply voltages are listed in the table below. So usually best to work out these parts and fit them first. Also a good idea to fit all resistor to the PCB beofre soldering them to make sure you do not put one in the wrong place. For those not good with colour codes bend the legs of the resistor ready for the PCB and place them into a ohmmeter terminals (without any test leads) to check the resistor value before placing in the PCB.
The 4 Tri colour 10 LED Bars need to have the 10 legs bent down 90degree which can be done with a flat metal ruler etc so they all bend in a straight line. Top 2 legs need to be bent 60degrees so they will reach into the XG & XR pads. Best to only solder one of the bottom legs on each display until you have the 4 bars fitted in a straight line.
The 8 x BD139 transistors all face with their plastic side facing the JLM AUDIO logo end of the PCB. So do pin 1 of the TL074 and PIC CPU IC.
Diodes black or white stripes should line up with the thicker white stripe on the PCB overlay. All 1N914/1N4148 diodes stripes should be furthermost away from the LED displays and Zener diodes stripes if fitted should be closest to the LED Displays.

Any questions feel free to post here preferably or email me.

NEW VUPPMGR40v2 PCB Changes
R13 & R14 no longer need to be changed at all. (Instead R15 has been changed from 200k to 300k and R16 has been changed from 560R to 820R. C6c deleted). C12 moved. and VR2 VU PPM balance trim pot turned 90 degree.
J6 added. Jumper fitted to J6 normal PPM release time 650mS like version 1. Jumper J6 removed for shorter PPM release time of 350mS. J2 jumper is still not used.

R13 & R14 changes only for ver 1 PCB are to give more headroom the the TL074 when running them at +/-12v (so when either ZD1 & ZD2 are 12v zeners or when running +/-12v into VUPPM terminals). It was found that the top 4 leds sometimes will not track as they should due to the TL074 approaching clipping at about +/-10.5vac. For all new builds I recommend fitting for any power rail voltages R13 = 150k and R14 = 75k which are now supplied in the kit. And all existing builds on +/12v add a second 200k resistor under the PCB across R13 to make R13 = 100k and a second 100k resistor under the PCB across R14 to make R14 = 50k. After changes to R13 & R14 the VU balance trim pot will have to be readjust upwards to match the PPM level with a 1k tone.
Note 1 The VUPPM can be made to run on 12v only with changes shown and a 1N4007 diode instead of 5v smps. Diode is mounted between 5v smps pin 1 Anode to pin 4 Cathode to supply 5v to PIC. The 1uF caps next to the smps may need to be changed to 100uF 25v electros if the 12v is coming from a noisy power source like a car.

Parts mentioned in above table shown in red outline.

Have a stereo compact box and scale coming as well as a 1unit rack case scale. Looking for input on what other scale levels or types people are interested in like mono, 0DFS etc
Stereo compact box will have a optional pre made stereo D/A card for spdif and toslink inputs.

See scale examples below
Scale panel size 128mm (5.039") x 45mm (1.772") and fits Hammond Enclosure 1598B.

Rack version below
Scale panel size 128mm (5.039") x 38mm (1.496")

Photos of VUPPM Scale rack sample in 2mm clear perspex with black backing with laser cut text and bevelled edge.
ImageImagecom/VUPPM/VUPPM%20Scale%20Sample2
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Holger

Re: Coming Soon New 40 Led PPM/VU/GR Meter kit with Peak hold

Post by Holger »

Joe, that looks really cool. When will the kit be available?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Holger wrote:Joe, that looks really cool. When will the kit be available?
HI Holger

Just waiting for the special higher brightness Tricolor leds bars I am having made for this to ship. So still a couple of weeks for them I think. Everything else is here for the first 100 kits.

Working on extra features listed below for the PIC CPU code in the meantime besides the PPM/VU.

SW terminal switched to 0v to switch to GR (Gain reduction) input on back terminals.

IDC header which can daisy chained to other 40 led PPM/VU/GR PCBs
1. Jumper for direction change of meter right to left / Left to right
2. Jumper for Peak hold lock with reset when jumper shorted. If jumper left on then defaults to peak hold as in the video.
3. Jumper for GR voltage linear or log.
4. Jumper for GR voltage 0v to 5v / 5v to 0v.
5. Any ideas???

Seperate jumper beside IDC header maybe for master select for peak hold drop back sync.

So any ideas on extra features post them on this thread and please mention this up on the lab (confused as to if I am allowed to post this there these days) and other forums so people can suggest ideas now while coding changes are being done.

Depending on ideas for the meter and its uses we may develop a few code versions for different projects etc. SSL Comp meter, Phase meter, etc

But it is early days so best ot have ones say now :-)
JLM Audio

Holger

Post by Holger »

Joe, some ideas here:
- switchable mode (peak only with hold on/off, VU only with hold on/off)
- 'integrated' meter, peak output coming from one side in 'bar' mode, GR coming from opposite side in 'dot' mode

How is the PCB mounted (front panel, case bottom)?

If there's an order list, put me on :)

briomusic

Post by briomusic »

This is a great idea (and execution), I would definitely be up for two kits, plus one phase meter when available.
Depending on price even more of them, to add them to mic preamps 'just because i can'. :D
Any idea of the price point?

jensenmann

Post by jensenmann »

That´s a great idea. What´s the metering range, Joe? Do the ballistics spec to a standard? If so which one?
Jens

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Holger wrote:Joe, some ideas here:
- switchable mode (peak only with hold on/off, VU only with hold on/off)
- 'integrated' meter, peak output coming from one side in 'bar' mode, GR coming from opposite side in 'dot' mode
Will definitely try to have separate peak hold disables. The VU or PPM can be disabled in the analog circuit.
Have tried things like output with GR but not with a dot so may work.
How is the PCB mounted (front panel, case bottom)?
The PCB has 4 x 3mm bolt holes so offset hex spacers can be used to stack the PCBs. So the way the PCB is sitting in the photo standoffs to the bottom panel or a L bracket could be used.
If there's an order list, put me on :)
Will post on this thread as soon as I add the kit to the JLM web shop for orders
briomusic wrote:This is a great idea (and execution), I would definitely be up for two kits, plus one phase meter when available.
Depending on price even more of them, to add them to mic preamps 'just because i can'. :D
Any idea of the price point?
Still working this out as I finally have all the costing in with the leds bars under way.
jensenmann wrote:That´s a great idea. What´s the metering range, Joe?
40 x 1dB steps but this can be changed in the PICs mapping of the 10bit A/D port
Do the ballistics spec to a standard? If so which one?
PPM meter is made to German DIN spec 45406 (Attack 1.7mS Release 650mS)
VU Meter is made to ANSI spec C165 (Attack 300mS Release 300mS with correct 1 to 1.5% overshoot)
All the ballistics are done with modified analog precision rectifiers containing the time constants and presented to 2 of the A/D inputs on the PIC. CV Control Voltage Gain reduction input goes direct to the a third A/D input.

The leds are very nice RED but the photo makes them look orange. Turning both leds on together does make a nice orange which may get used in a conventional tri colour led meter look or 0dB marker dot etc.
JLM Audio

Holger

Post by Holger »

Joe, looks very good.
Count me in for a pair.

conleycd

Post by conleycd »

Amazing, amazing, amazing. I love it. The only thing better might be a plasma meter. But this is going to be a huge seller Joe.

CC

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Guys and gals, just remember that this thing is 3U high - its lovely and all that, but getting into a case with all your other stuff may be a design issue.

Sorry, don't want to rain on the parade. The thing is that its range allows for a huge sensitivity. I can see it in mastering / mixing applications for sure, but its way too much for a simple preamp level indicator - stick with the wobbly needles for those.

I see this as yet another step on the road to the mythical JLM analog console - I'll never afford one but geez I want to see one in action. Imagine, BAD preamps with DI and direct out on every channel, flexible HAL routing, some nice compressors and pultec style stereo eq on the groups, these as meters - yum yum yum.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

Holger

Post by Holger »

Chris, I agree, it's a big meter.
But I see the beauty in the logic behind it.
Joe uses the big dual/triple colour LEDs, I assume that it would be possible to use smaller, single colour LEDs later, thats why I'm wondering about different modes. So, once Joe and his team has developed the software for the control chip it might be possible to customize the meter controller and the size, modes and the use of different LED systems.

briomusic

Post by briomusic »

I am not sure I understand correctly, you mean 3U high if mounted upright (LEDs on top of each other)?
mounted horizontally, the populated PCB doesn't appear to stand higher than the XLR plug in the video.
it should fit into a 1U case mounted horizontally, no?

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Yep, horizontal in a 1U is fine if you like edgewise meters. You could easily stack 2 in a 1U case for stereo metering.

But its really a question of design and function - metering is an important issue for sure, but front panel space is premium, and just because you can does not mean that you should. It is important to get good ergonomics and useability, especially if all you have is 1U, and too many pretty lights can actually be a distraction. The question a designer needs to ask is how much metering do I need for this application to deliver good feedback for control. In many cheap consoles, the answer is 2 leds - signal present and overload. In preamps, you either monitor elsewhere or else have the wobbly needle. But do you need in a preamp the sensitivity from a 40 led meter? Well, you may - the joy of DIY is you can do what you want to. But the role of the meter in a preamp is to manage gain, and if the meter delivers more sensitivity than I need for that function, its front panel space wasted.

Again, don't get me wrong. I think this is a great kit and has lots of uses - my thinking for the future is to put about 24 of these in a 3U case to make up a stereo frequency display for my main LR bus - now THAT would look funky and the information provided by the resolution of a 40 led meter can be used. Likewise in mixing mastering. But no meter is good for every application, and this one is quite big.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

briomusic

Post by briomusic »

Hi Joe, just wanted to check if a clearer idea regarding kit price has emerged,,,, :? 8)

briomusic

Post by briomusic »

....or indeed any further developments on this? :?