MAC RACK KIT with Green MAC & DINGO PCBs Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Mixmaster-Nate

Re: MAC Build Thread

Post by Mixmaster-Nate »

Hi Joe,

yep - all good re; pin#1's...

Power is on, and staying on, Mac LINK LED works when in 'link' mode, and and Dingo's are measuring spot on +/- 24v at VS+/- . The IDC Header on the left dingo cable that I re-terminated was the only thing that looked a little sus, even though it tested ok with a multi-meter, I've replaced the plug anyway. The reason I blew the zeners before I can only put down to either this plug, or a faulty connection between my chair and my fingers.... :?

However - ( :lol: ) - the VU meter appears to be not functioning, nor is it illuminating when in VU or GR mode. So I've taken a couple of quick snaps of my wiring at posted them here for you;

http://www.mixosmosis.com/POT_VU_wiring.html

Can you just confirm for me that what you see is correct...?? I've triple checked with your hand drawn schem for MAC general wiring - I believe I've got it right, but... :wink:

I haven't yet calibrated the unit, but when in GR mode, both VU needles go hard left, and pop back up to -20dB when in bypass mode. But like I said, no LED's are working on the VU's...

Also - do these VU meters have internal rectification...?? (re; wiring D5 to D8)

Thanks for your patience & ongoing support, I'm enjoying the experience !! Nathan

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Mixmaster-Nate wrote:Hi Joe,

yep - all good re; pin#1's...

Power is on, and staying on, Mac LINK LED works when in 'link' mode, and and Dingo's are measuring spot on +/- 24v at VS+/- . The IDC Header on the left dingo cable that I re-terminated was the only thing that looked a little sus, even though it tested ok with a multi-meter, I've replaced the plug anyway. The reason I blew the zeners before I can only put down to either this plug, or a faulty connection between my chair and my fingers.... :?
Cool ok
However - ( :lol: ) - the VU meter appears to be not functioning, nor is it illuminating when in VU or GR mode. So I've taken a couple of quick snaps of my wiring at posted them here for you;

http://www.mixosmosis.com/POT_VU_wiring.html

Can you just confirm for me that what you see is correct...?? I've triple checked with your hand drawn schem for MAC general wiring - I believe I've got it right, but... :wink:
I haven't yet calibrated the unit, but when in GR mode, both VU needles go hard left, and pop back up to -20dB when in bypass mode. But like I said, no LED's are working on the VU's...
The Meter wires need swapping + to - and so do the LED wires and you should be right to go for alignment.
Also - do these VU meters have internal rectification...?? (re; wiring D5 to D8)
The rectifiers for the VU meter on the MAC PCB.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Mixmaster-Nate

Post by Mixmaster-Nate »

Hi Joe,

swapped the wires to VUs as instructed. Still no LEDs in VU/GR mode.
If switching the the VU/off/GR switch to VU or GR clicks the relay in and the compressor signal path then either there is a short between A K of the led on the PCB or the LED has gone short from the backwards IDC plug problem earlier. As the LED is in series with the Relay coil so for the relay to work the power has to go through the LED. The White leds can be replaced easily if this is the case. Let me know if everything ends up working except VU leds and I will send down 2 x white leds and show you how to shange them.
I proceeded with alignment as per instructions, and the unit aligned spot on! However, I believe my output pots are wired wrong, perhaps. Here's the symptoms;
Yes your output pot is wired wrong so it is at full makeup when CCW. With the pot shaft pointing at you and the 6 legs pointing up. The four legs on the right should be all linked to each other and nothing else. The 2 pins on the left can be wired either way around to the 2 wires to the makeup pot. And it shoudl all work fine.
On a positive note; I ran some audio through the unit, some really well recorded overheads and room mics etc, and whatever it's doing to it, it sounds great!!
Yes we are getting lots of good feedback on the MAC comps. 8) :D

Mixmaster-Nate

Post by Mixmaster-Nate »

Hi Joe,

LEDs in VU's are definitely popped...

After rewiring output pots correctly, as I mentioned on phone I can not get alignment to work out. The relays on both the Dingos are definitely clicking over when switching VU/off/GR. I did have to short out the right channel on the back of the VU outside terminals as you said, and that is now switching too.

Sending 1kHz @ -20dB;

(a) When in off; the test tone levels in and out remain unchanged; in -20dB and back out -20dB.
(b) When in VU; as above, yet meter levels I can not calibrate any higher that -5dB. The levels remain the same as (a)
(c) When in GR; as above, left channel meter is calibrating fine, but right channel meter is pinned hard on, and I can't calibrate back to 0dB. This meter stays like this with no test tone running as well. When both GR pots are CCW, the level remains the same as (a) and both GR pots give me GR when turned CW on actual levels, but right channel meter remains pinned hard on, the left channel meter shows nice even GR.
(d) The 'balance' trim pot appears to make no difference to either meter or result.

The output pots are working fine now that I've connected them properly, and even though meters are not working, output post both boost signal evenly when turned CW.

Maybe I have 'love' fingers.... :|

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

HI Nate how is the MAC comp going? :-)
JLM Audio

Mixmaster-Nate

Post by Mixmaster-Nate »

Lovin' it! Tracked some vocals with it first time the other day through a SM7 & API 512, hard hitting rock song, really powerful singer, the MAC really worked wonders. Top comp! :P Looking forward to the SUMO 16...!!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Mixmaster-Nate wrote:Lovin' it! Tracked some vocals with it first time the other day through a SM7 & API 512, hard hitting rock song, really powerful singer, the MAC really worked wonders. Top comp! :P Looking forward to the SUMO 16...!!
Excellent 8) :D

SUMO Front panel arrived Friday. So building it will start next week.
JLM Audio

nikonet

Post by nikonet »

Hi,

I just bought 1 MAC comp kit, i want to plug it inside my neve preamp. I just see that There a dingo kit, so my question is: can i use Mac comp without Dingo pcb?
If yes, how to plug +V and Signal in/out

thanks a lot.....

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

nikonet wrote:Hi,

I just bought 1 MAC comp kit, i want to plug it inside my neve preamp. I just see that There a dingo kit, so my question is: can i use Mac comp without Dingo pcb?
If yes, how to plug +V and Signal in/out

thanks a lot.....
You can use the MAC kit without the dingo but you really need to know what you are doing and understand the schematics. The Neve preamp is not ideal for the MAC as first of it needs its output to feed into a 100k load which a Neve output circuit if Neve output pot is changed to 100k from normal 5k is about 40k with 4.7nF of capacitance to ground so not ideal but would still work. And the MAC needs +/-18v to +/-24v to run and the Neve has no negetive rail so you need to add one. Makeup gain for the MAC would need to be output control of the Neve as the one on the MAC PCB will not work with the Neve circuit. The MAC bypass will not work without the dINgO as well. Defintiely way easier easier with the dingo kit.
JLM Audio

nikonet

Post by nikonet »

Ok Joe, thanks a lot for your response and your job. I think i will buy a Dingo kit in few weeks......

nikonet

Post by nikonet »

Hi, I have a look on the shop, and i seen 2 different Dingo kit. Wich one do i need ?
And when i see your picture, there's a lot of missing components on pcb......

it seems to be difficult for me....

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

nikonet wrote:Hi, I have a look on the shop, and i seen 2 different Dingo kit. Wich one do i need ?
And when i see your picture, there's a lot of missing components on pcb......

it seems to be difficult for me....
You need the dINgO kit (NOT the dingo pup.) with either 2 x OPA2604AP or 2 x JLM99v opamp and 1 x JLM111DC output transformer.

Print out the MAC schematic PDF at the beginning of this thread as it has the parts change list for the dINgO kit on it to make the dINgO suit the MAC and there is also a photo of the completed dINgO PCB ready for use with ther MAC at the being of the thread as well.
JLM Audio

glbaudio

Post by glbaudio »

2 years ago, i've builded a MAC in a 500 format, with a lundahl trafo taked from a Calrec Console and a API clone DOA , and it was working perfectly.
this year i've decided to have another one, and i've ordered another MAC kit and 2 INX5 (to have both with the same in/out circuit, refreshing the original too)...but i've done a BIG mistake soldering the components...i've mounted the D1-D2 diodes on both the INX5 REVERSED!!!!
I think i have blowed several components...because i've re-soldered in correct way the diodes, but the VU is not moving as aspected during the trimmers settings procedure.
:(

Can i have some helps to solve this damage?

i see several condenser swollen...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

glbaudio wrote:2 years ago, i've builded a MAC in a 500 format, with a lundahl trafo taked from a Calrec Console and a API clone DOA , and it was working perfectly.
this year i've decided to have another one, and i've ordered another MAC kit and 2 INX5 (to have both with the same in/out circuit, refreshing the original too)...but i've done a BIG mistake soldering the components...i've mounted the D1-D2 diodes on both the INX5 REVERSED!!!!
I think i have blowed several components...because i've re-soldered in correct way the diodes, but the VU is not moving as aspected during the trimmers settings procedure.

If D1 & D2 were backwards then no +16v or +24v would have made it from the edge connector to the circuit.

Best to put up on this post or email me a large top and bottom photo of the INX5 PCB so I can see the damage to caps and 10R etc to work out what the problem is.
JLM Audio

glbaudio

Post by glbaudio »

Joe Malone wrote:
glbaudio wrote:2 years ago, i've builded a MAC in a 500 format, with a lundahl trafo taked from a Calrec Console and a API clone DOA , and it was working perfectly.

If D1 & D2 were backwards then no +16v or +24v would have made it from the edge connector to the circuit.

Best to put up on this post or email me a large top and bottom photo of the INX5 PCB so I can see the damage to caps and 10R etc to work out what the problem is.
Done!