dINgO Pup kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:02 am

So I modified 8 boards to "unbalanced Pro Audio gear".
All perfect,exactly unity gain in a loop.
For those who want to know,I measured the current while modding them.
Mine have opa2604 running at +/-24vdc.
Idle is 22mAs per rail.
Generator at +20dBm,1k sine,circuits looped,balancing output looking into a 20k load current is just around 23 mAs per rail.
Just to let you know,if calculated with say 30mAs you should be good to go.

Best regards,

Udo.

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm

kante1603 wrote:So I modified 8 boards to "unbalanced Pro Audio gear".
All perfect,exactly unity gain in a loop.
For those who want to know,I measured the current while modding them.
Mine have opa2604 running at +/-24vdc.
Idle is 22mAs per rail.
Generator at +20dBm,1k sine,circuits looped,balancing output looking into a 20k load current is just around 23 mAs per rail.
Just to let you know,if calculated with say 30mAs you should be good to go.

Best regards,

Udo.


Cool good to hear it worked for you Udo and thanks for the current draw info for everyone to use :D 8)
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Joe Malone wrote:
Cool good to hear it worked for you Udo and thanks for the current draw info for everyone to use :D 8)

Will post a pic when I'm done,will take a while because my frontpanel-supplier is on holidays now.

Best regards from germany,

Udo.

xazrules
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:05 am

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby xazrules » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:27 pm

hi, which transformer i need to power the unit?
can i connect my secondary windings of my trafo? or i need for example your acdc unit for +/- v?

cheers

E.

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:06 pm

xazrules wrote:hi, which transformer i need to power the unit?
can i connect my secondary windings of my trafo? or i need for example your acdc unit for +/- v?

cheers

E.

The dingo pup with NE5532AP opamps fitted needs +/-12v to +/-18vdc.

So yes needs something like the AC/DC kit to do this. A AC/DC would need a 2 x 18vac transformer to be a able to provide +/-18vdc voltages.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

xazrules
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:05 am

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby xazrules » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 am

thank you, all clear! :D

fishdrop
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:15 am

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby fishdrop » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:59 am

Hi,

I'm really happy that i found out that the Dingo Kit exists.
I'm planning to do the following thing.

I wanna put four of those dingos in one 1RU Enclosure.
What kind of PSU is the right choice to do that? AC/DC?
Is there anything special i have pay attetion to?

I want to use the Dingo to connect FX like my beloved Roland RE201, some funny Spring Reverbs & maybe sometimes a guitar Effect direct to my AD/DA converter.
Is Dingo the right thing to do this?
I already read about using different resistor in the input section for adapting to different inputs.


best regards

Bernhard

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:45 am

fishdrop wrote:Hi,

I'm really happy that i found out that the Dingo Kit exists.
I'm planning to do the following thing.

I wanna put four of those dingos in one 1RU Enclosure.
What kind of PSU is the right choice to do that? AC/DC?

You can use our AC/DC kit set to +/-24v (use 2 x 22vac to 2 x 25vac 20VA transformer or our 2 x 12vac world power transformer kit)
Or
Fit the 24v zeners on the dINgO Pup and use our 48v 15w internal or 48v 25w external prebuilt SMPS with isolated DC socket to run all four.

Is there anything special i have to pay attention to?

No just to change the resistors to drop the input level to the correct level for the unbalanced device like mentioned you have read.

I want to use the Dingo to connect FX like my beloved Roland RE201, some funny Spring Reverbs & maybe sometimes a guitar Effect direct to my AD/DA converter.
Is Dingo the right thing to do this?

Yes perfect
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

fishdrop
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:15 am

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby fishdrop » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:28 am

Hey Joe,

Thank you very much for answering.
really helpful

i double checked all the power supply options.
the 48v 15w internal 315 mA SMPS seems the best and cheapest :D option to me.
i like it to be internal and the possibilty to use a standard power cords. very cool

is 315 mA enough for all four units??
in a different post you stated, that power consumption can go up to 100 mA per unit.

2nd question: are there any mods that have to be done to the circuit to hook up guitar effects to the dingo??
just asking because of impedance issues??


greetings from bavaria
Bernhard

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Bernhard,

Read my reply on top of this page concerning current,it is less than 30mAs per rail,so yes you'll have enough juice then.
For interfacing with guitar pedal FX read page 2,R3 & R4 should be something like 1 k or even less.

Best from bavaria too,

Udo :wink:

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:46 pm

fishdrop wrote:Hey Joe,

Thank you very much for answering.
really helpful

i double checked all the power supply options.
the 48v 15w internal 315 mA SMPS seems the best and cheapest :D option to me.
i like it to be internal and the possibilty to use a standard power cords. very cool

is 315 mA enough for all four units??
in a different post you stated, that power consumption can go up to 100 mA per unit.

Like Udo said you could run about 8 dingo pups on the 48v 15w SMPS.

2nd question: are there any mods that have to be done to the circuit to hook up guitar effects to the dingo??
just asking because of impedance issues??

R6 give the unbalanced input a impedance of 100k so it will not load even the weakest pedal output. And dingo pup unbalanced out has a output impedance of 0ohms can drive a 250ohm load fine.

Remember to wire the 48v SMPS between the +V and -V terminals of the dingo pup with power chassis ground only to the 0v on the dingo pup. And you will need to fit the 2 x 24v zener diodes.

If you are not sure of the actual level drop you need you can make R3 & R4 at least 5k1 and wire a 1k to 10k log volume pot from the unbalanced out so you can try different output levels and use the trim pot on the dingo to make up that gain to the balanced level you need. But making R3 & R4 = smaller and equal values to each other like Udo mentions will lose the gain without the need for the volume pot which is better unless you need it to be variable for plugging in different devices.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

rmiller335
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:39 pm
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup for distortion effect

Postby rmiller335 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:41 am

Hi, Joe. I think the last time I was here was asking your advice for using Dingo's to provide makeup gain for a summing bus. I finally got that built and it works great. I'm thinking about building a (very) poor man's Culture Vulture. I'm a big fan of the Tube Screamer circuit for guitar and have built several and it seems to me that that distortion would be quite usable. I've just tried it using my Radial Reamper -> Tube Screamer -> DI on Baby Animal and it sounds fine. I think I could do something like this:

DAW Out (line level) --> Reamper (guitar level) --> Tube Screamer Board (guitar level) --> Dingo Pup (line level) --> DAW Input

Where the reamper is one of these:

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/st ... er-bundle/

I could build it all into a rack mount cabinet and nobody would have to know what's inside!

So my questions are:

1. Am I crazy?
2. Does the Dingo Pup work in this context? I think it's just a matter of resistor values, yes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Bob

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup for distortion effect

Postby Joe Malone » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:45 am

rmiller335 wrote:Hi, Joe. I think the last time I was here was asking your advice for using Dingo's to provide makeup gain for a summing bus. I finally got that built and it works great. I'm thinking about building a (very) poor man's Culture Vulture. I'm a big fan of the Tube Screamer circuit for guitar and have built several and it seems to me that that distortion would be quite usable. I've just tried it using my Radial Reamper -> Tube Screamer -> DI on Baby Animal and it sounds fine. I think I could do something like this:

DAW Out (line level) --> Reamper (guitar level) --> Tube Screamer Board (guitar level) --> Dingo Pup (line level) --> DAW Input

Where the reamper is one of these:

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/st ... er-bundle/

I could build it all into a rack mount cabinet and nobody would have to know what's inside!

So my questions are:

1. Am I crazy?
2. Does the Dingo Pup work in this context? I think it's just a matter of resistor values, yes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Bob


We use the dingo pup can do the reamp and makeup for low level pedals all the time.

Balanced into Dingo pup.

Change R3 & R4 down to as small as 1k to drop the level on the unbalanced output (or leave R3 & R4 normal 10k and just fit a 1k to 10k log volume pot to the unbalanced out before) going into the tube screamer input.

Then tube screamer output into the unbalanced in on the dingo pup and turn up trim pot R8 until you have the correct gain out. Easy.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

studiomollan
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: dINgO Pup kit BUILD THREAD

Postby studiomollan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:57 am

Hi guys,
I've just ordered a couple of dingo pup pcb to interface my old tape echos / reel to reel recorders etc to my balanced studio setup. I see a lot of you guys have already done that so i feel assured i will be happy with the results.
I've already got two kits that i bought some time ago for a similar project that never got finished. When powering them up i fried R17 and R18 instantly. I'm using the OPA2604 and the power was +/- 17v. Zeneers are fitted. Actually when to fit these are not really clear to me and i will need some clarification on that. Could that be the cause of the fired resistors?

I will power my dingos in two ways:
One pair will be mounted close to the patchbay of my desk. the desk runs on +/- 16v and i cant se a reason why i can't use that supply? Use the NE5532 there then? Does the zeneers need to be mounted?

The other dingos will be powered from the JLM 48v 15W SMPS. These will all use the OPA 2604. I read in a post earlier that the SMPS is supposed to be connected in a special way. No 0v connections to the smps? The zeneers are supposed to be mounted here right?

Thanks!
/
Emil

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup kit BUILD THREAD

Postby Joe Malone » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 am

studiomollan wrote:Hi guys,
I've just ordered a couple of dingo pup pcb to interface my old tape echos / reel to reel recorders etc to my balanced studio setup. I see a lot of you guys have already done that so i feel assured i will be happy with the results.
I've already got two kits that i bought some time ago for a similar project that never got finished. When powering them up i fried R17 and R18 instantly. I'm using the OPA2604 and the power was +/- 17v. Zeneers are fitted. Actually when to fit these are not really clear to me and i will need some clarification on that. Could that be the cause of the fired resistors?

I will power my dingos in two ways:
One pair will be mounted close to the patchbay of my desk. the desk runs on +/- 16v and i cant se a reason why i can't use that supply? Use the NE5532 there then? Does the zeneers need to be mounted?

The other dingos will be powered from the JLM 48v 15W SMPS. These will all use the OPA 2604. I read in a post earlier that the SMPS is supposed to be connected in a special way. No 0v connections to the smps? The zeners are supposed to be mounted here right?

Thanks!
/
Emil


Zeners are never fitted if you are running in +/- rails. You only need zeners if using a single rail like from a floating SMPS supply as the zeners will make this into +/- rails.

Ov on the dingo can be wired back to the metal work as long as you use a plastic isolated DC connector. 0v doesn't wire to the SMPS power supply at all.

So if you put in 48v between +/-V on the PCB and fit 2 x 24vdc zeners you will have +/-24v rails. The zeners must be half the SMPS voltage to work.

On our 48v SMPS wire its negative(0v) to -V and it =48v to +V. Nothing from the power supply to the dingo 0v unless it is a mains ground connection.

So 24v SMPS use 2 x 12v zeners, 36v SMPS use 2 x 18v zeners. 48v SMPS use 2 x 24v zeners. All zeners need to be 1watt type.

+/-16v from the desk with any opamp types will work fine. Do NOt fit zeners as you have +/-rails already
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

Return to “JLM Audio Kits”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests