dINgO Pup kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

EmptyMusicBox

Re: dINgO Pup kit BUILD THREAD

Post by EmptyMusicBox »

hello

How i can have 0db gain ? i want to balanced a send / return of a channel strip vintage !

because i have 6db at the Send and -6db for the return and i need to have a 0db for the Send and 0db for the return !

I use R3/R4 5k1 and no trim Pot

thanks for your help

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

EmptyMusicBox wrote:hello

How i can have 0db gain ? i want to balanced a send / return of a channel strip vintage !

because i have 6db at the Send and -6db for the return and i need to have a 0db for the Send and 0db for the return !

thanks for your help
Not sure what you mean? But unbalanced to balanced should always add 6dB to keep headroom the same and give best signal to noise. Then the return balanced will be dropped 6dB so unbalanced has original level for best headroom and signal to noise.

Or in your case 0dB unbalanced out to 6dB balanced out and 6dB balanced in to 0dB unbalanced in works perfect headroom and signal to noise wise.

If you are trying to make 0dB balanced to 0dB unbalanced and then 0dB unbalanced to 0dB balanced this is a bad idea as full input level on the unbalanced signal will overload the unbalanced signal as it naturally has 6dB less headroom.

If you leave R3/R4 as 10k and add 2 x 10k resistor or use 10k trimpot as 6dB divider into the unbalanced in then you can do this this but it is a bad idea as the unbalanced signal will clip 6dB earlier than the balanced so full balanced signal can never be reached.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

EmptyMusicBox

Post by EmptyMusicBox »

Joe Malone wrote:

thanks for your help
Not sure what you mean? But unbalanced to balanced should always add 6dB to keep headroom the same and give best signal to noise. Then the return balanced will be dropped 6dB so unbalanced has original level for best headroom and signal to noise.

Or in your case 0dB unbalanced out to 6dB balanced out and 6dB balanced in to 0dB unbalanced in works perfect headroom and signal to noise wise.

If you are trying to make 0dB balanced to 0dB unbalanced and then 0dB unbalanced to 0dB balanced this is a bad idea as full input level on the unbalanced signal will overload the unbalanced signal as it naturally has 6dB less headroom.

If you leave R3/R4 as 10k and add 2 x 10k resistor or use 10k trimpot as 6dB divider into the unbalanced in then you can do this this but it is a bad idea as the unbalanced signal will clip 6dB earlier than the balanced so full balanced signal can never be reached.

Thanks for your explication joe

But on my channel strip:
when I have 0dB at the my main transformer balanced out XLR
I have +6dB at my Insert Send with the dingo Pup !

When I add more input gain I overload my Insert Send and the Compressor Input...

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

EmptyMusicBox wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:

thanks for your help

But on my channel strip:

When I add more input gain I overload my Insert Send and the Compressor Input...
If the unbalanced out isn't overloading the dingo pup balanced out will not be overloading as the 6dB gain is only because it makes a inverted copy of the unbalanced out so no headroom is lost. So only the compressor input maybe overloading. But if you want 0dB you will need to make a 6dB atten on the way into the unbalanced in on the dingo pup with 2 x 10k resistors or a 10k trim set to half way.
JLM Audio

EmptyMusicBox

Post by EmptyMusicBox »

Joe Malone wrote:
EmptyMusicBox wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:

But on my channel strip:

If the unbalanced out isn't overloading the dingo pup balanced out will not be overloading as the 6dB gain is only because it makes a inverted copy of the unbalanced out so no headroom is lost. So only the compressor input maybe overloading. But if you want 0dB you will need to make a 6dB atten on the way into the unbalanced in on the dingo pup with 2 x 10k resistors or a 10k trim set to half way.
I have just make a trim pot 10K and a 10k to make a 6db att at the input of the Dingo pup i have always 6db of difference between In unbalanced and the out unbalanced,
I'm sorry maybe if don't understand something... but i need to have the same level of my insert send : (for the compression input level meter for exemple ) and my Master out for a channel strip with a Send & return balanced with the Dingo Pup.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

EmptyMusicBox wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:
EmptyMusicBox wrote:

But on my channel strip:

I have just make a trim pot 10K and a 10k to make a 6db att at the input of the Dingo pup i have always 6db of difference between In unbalanced and the out unbalanced,
I'm sorry maybe if don't understand something... but i need to have the same level of my insert send : (for the compression input level meter for exemple ) and my Master out for a channel strip with a Send & return balanced with the Dingo Pup.
Best to send me a photo of the built pcb and your wiring so I can see how it is built because you have me very confused. Make sure you have not fitted any R8 trimpot and resistor.
JLM Audio

EmptyMusicBox

Post by EmptyMusicBox »

Joe Malone wrote:
EmptyMusicBox wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:
Best to send me a photo of the built pcb and your wiring so I can see how it is built because you have me very confused. Make sure you have not fitted any R8 trimpot and resistor.

Okay thank you joe for your help :

This is the bord with no R8 trim pot and R4 & R4 at 5K1

The unit with the Main transformer 1:1 output and the Dingo pup Kit for a blanced Send Return Insert

when i have 0db at the Main output :

i have +6db at the Insert Send :

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

EmptyMusicBox wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:
EmptyMusicBox wrote:

The unit with the Main transformer 1:1 output and the Dingo pup Kit for a blanced Send Return Insert

Since you are using a 1:1 output transformer instead of 1:2 you will have to do like I said before fit 6dB atten made out of 2 x 10k resistor on the way into the unbalanced in (you can make R6 10k and feed the unbalanced in with a 10k series resistor to do this) and leave R3 & R4 as 10k.
JLM Audio

EmptyMusicBox

Post by EmptyMusicBox »

Joe Malone wrote:
EmptyMusicBox wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:

Since you are using a 1:1 output transformer instead of 1:2 you will have to do like I said before fit 6dB atten made out of 2 x 10k resistor on the way into the unbalanced in (you can make R6 10k and feed the unbalanced in with a 10k series resistor to do this) and leave R3 & R4 as 10k.
Perfect Thank You very much it's perfect now !!!!

thanks !!!!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Cool great to hear is is working properly

Please if you have a comments and/or photos of your JLM Audio gear in your rack please put them up on our facebook page at the link below or send them to us by email as we work completely by word of mouth with no paid advertising. Feel free to add your website link and other details if you like 

https://www.facebook.com/jlmaudio1
JLM Audio

studiomollan

Post by studiomollan »

Hi Joe,
Is it possible to run the Dingo pup on a single 12v supply?
/
Emil

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

studiomollan wrote:Hi Joe,
/
Emil
If 12v supply is regulated and floating like a plug pack output and not used by any other circuit and can be used as +/-6v it would work with most opamp types but headroom would be limited by the lower power rails but still drive a reasonable balanced output level.
JLM Audio

studiomollan

Post by studiomollan »

Ok cool. I'll use the -V terminal as OV from the 12v supply then right? And leave OV on the dingo pup unconnected?
Thanks joe!
Joe Malone wrote:
/
Emil
If 12v supply is regulated and floating like a plug pack output and not used by any other circuit and can be used as +/-6v it would work with most opamp types but headroom would be limited by the lower power rails but still drive a reasonable balanced output level.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

studiomollan wrote:Ok cool. I'll use the -V terminal as OV from the 12v supply then right? And leave OV on the dingo pup unconnected?
Thanks joe!
Joe Malone wrote:
/
Emil
Yes and you will need to fit 2 x 6.2V zeners to the dingo pup pcb as well
JLM Audio

studiomollan

Post by studiomollan »

Alright Thanks!
/
Emil
Joe Malone wrote:
studiomollan wrote:Ok cool. I'll use the -V terminal as OV from the 12v supply then right? And leave OV on the dingo pup unconnected?
Thanks joe!
Joe Malone wrote:
Yes and you will need to fit 2 x 6.2V zeners to the dingo pup pcb as well