BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Camsown

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Post by Camsown »

Camsown wrote:Hi Joe.

On the Dual99v kits, where do I attach the phantom power led? Do I just attach it to the legs of the 48v toggle?
Also, the photo of the output pot wiring (on the first page of this thread) looks different than what is in the PDF for the Dual99v build. The pins on that switch look to be wired differently. Can you confirm that I should reference the PDF for these pins?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Camsown wrote:Hi Joe.

On the Dual99v kits, where do I attach the phantom power led? Do I just attach it to the legs of the 48v toggle?
Yes led solders to the top 2 legs of the 48v switch. Long led leg goes to the switch leg closest to the edge of the pcb.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Camsown

Post by Camsown »

Hey Joe,
Should I follow the output pot wiring in the schematic pdf? Looks different from the image of it on page the 1st page of this thread.

Cheers.
Cam

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Camsown wrote:Hey Joe,
Should I follow the output pot wiring in the schematic pdf? Looks different from the image of it on page the 1st page of this thread.

Cheers.
Cam
HI Cam the overlay pdf is the easiest to follow
JLM Audio

Camsown

Post by Camsown »

Hi Joe,

I've just found the time to finish the dual99v build. One channel sounds great. The other seems to be lacking volume. I can get a distorted signal from the effected channel when I turn the output up high but it tails away very quickly as I slowly back the pot off.

I've isolated it to being something on the preamp module or connected pots by swapping it with the working channel's preamp module. I've also swapped over the JLM99v opamps with no change to the distorted output on the affected module.

I've attached some photos of the module and pots. Any advice on what and how I should test from here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Camsown on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camsown

Post by Camsown »

More photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

check for shorts as shown in red.jpg
Check the pads in the red circle are not shorted together. Especially the 2 with the extra red circle around them
JLM Audio

Camsown

Post by Camsown »

Yep. That's fixed it.
Thanks for your help.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Camsown wrote:Yep. That's fixed it.
Thanks for your help.
Cool great to hear :-)

Please if you have any comments and/or photos of your JLM Audio gear in your rack please put them up on our social media page at the links below or send them to us by email as we work completely by word of mouth with no paid advertising. Feel free to add your website link and other details if you like 

https://www.facebook.com/jlmaudio1

https://www.instagram.com/jlmaudio

https://www.twitter.com/jlmaudio

Thanks
JLM Audio

ajsteel

Post by ajsteel »

I need to replace the power toggle switch on my BA4 mic pre rack. What type of toggle switch should I purchase to replace the current switch? I couldn’t find a parts list.

Thanks for your help. Love these mic pre’s

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ajsteel wrote:I need to replace the power toggle switch on my BA4 mic pre rack. What type of toggle switch should I purchase to replace the current switch? I couldn’t find a parts list.

Thanks for your help. Love these mic pre’s
Below is the switch we have made for us for the power switch kit.

http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/large-toggle-dpdt-pcb.html
JLM Audio

ajsteel

Post by ajsteel »

Thanks Joe, do you think I could get one from an electronics shop? Just that the postage is more than the switch. :D Are there any specs I need to look out for?

Thanks for you help.

AJ

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ajsteel wrote:Thanks Joe, do you think I could get one from an electronics shop? Just that the postage is more than the switch. :D Are there any specs I need to look out for?

Thanks for you help.

AJ
Just DPDT large toggle 12mm mounting hole with 6 PCB pins. But I have no idea who would stock them as a standard part.
JLM Audio

ylinjohto

Post by ylinjohto »

Hi!

I´ve got second hand BA-4 with NE5532AP Dual Opamps. The guy had ordered Sound Skulptor SK99 op amps but they were not yet installed. Are they straight drop in or do I need to make some modifications. At least I´ve got to get some pin soccets..
Here´s some pics from the current state of the circuit
down.jpg
up.jpg
I´m not very good at reading schematics but I´ve got decent soldering station and few successful builds on my sleeve.

Thank You!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ylinjohto wrote:Hi!

I´ve got second hand BA-4 with NE5532AP Dual Opamps. The guy had ordered Sound Skulptor SK99 op amps but they were not yet installed. Are they straight drop in or do I need to make some modifications. At least I´ve got to get some pin soccets..
Here´s some pics from the current state of the circuit
down.jpg
up.jpg

I´m not very good at reading schematics but I´ve got decent soldering station and few successful builds on my sleeve.

Thank You!
Check the BA is fully working with NE5532A and input reg voltage is set to +30 to +36vdc on +V of the opamp sockets. If so you should be able to remove the NE5532A and fit 6 sockets and plug in the discrete opamp. Remember the discrete opamp is only driving the +out so link on dip socket is needed to put -out to 0v so quasi balanced out works.
JLM Audio