BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

ylinjohto

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Post by ylinjohto »

[/quote]

Check the BA is fully working with NE5532A and input reg voltage is set to +30 to +36vdc on +V of the opamp sockets. If so you should be able to remove the NE5532A and fit 6 sockets and plug in the discrete opamp. Remember the discrete opamp is only driving the +out so link on dip socket is needed to put -out to 0v so quasi balanced out works.[/quote]

Opamp voltage is 24,1 and I guess that is ok because the Soun Skulptor sk99 is 24v op amp. I just need to clarify what exactly needs to be connected? 0V opamp socket to -output of the line output? Did I understood this correctly?

Thanks!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ylinjohto wrote:
Check the BA is fully working with NE5532A and input reg voltage is set to +30 to +36vdc on +V of the opamp sockets. If so you should be able to remove the NE5532A and fit 6 sockets and plug in the discrete opamp. Remember the discrete opamp is only driving the +out so link on dip socket is needed to put -out to 0v so quasi balanced out works.[/quote]

Opamp voltage is 24,1 and I guess that is ok because the Soun Skulptor sk99 is 24v op amp. I just need to clarify what exactly needs to be connected? 0V opamp socket to -output of the line output? Did I understood this correctly?

Thanks![/quote]

If sk99 is +/-24v you want the reg linked over so you have +48v on +V pin as the BA uses this 48v as +/-24v but 0v is referenced to -24v.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

ylinjohto

Post by ylinjohto »

Hi, Thank you for information!

I was wondering what is the output impedance of the unit. With JLM14 input tranfo and NE5532A op amp. Does DOA change output impedance?

Cheers

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ylinjohto wrote:Hi, Thank you for information!

I was wondering what is the output impedance of the unit. With JLM14 input tranfo and NE5532A op amp. Does DOA change output impedance?

Cheers
Balanced output impedance with NE5532A or discrete opamp no output transformer using +out and -out is 102ohm if using 51R or 66ohm if using 33R.
JLM Audio

Vernois76

Post by Vernois76 »

Hey Joe, just got my BA kits in today. Just a quick question; on this version 2 you’ve added a trim adjustment for the opamp. Is there a setup necessary for standard 48v supply and 24v opamp?
Thanks for your time!
Gavin

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Vernois76 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:00 pm
Hey Joe, just got my BA kits in today. Just a quick question; on this version 2 you’ve added a trim adjustment for the opamp. Is there a setup necessary for standard 48v supply and 24v opamp?
Thanks for your time!
Gavin
HI Gavin
For +/-24v opamps you can leave off the BD681 and still link E - C or just wind the trimpot to full. Either works fine. See the Ver 2 schematic under the photo of the new balck Ver 2 pcb for detail.
JLM Audio

papiblu

Post by papiblu »

Dear Joe,
cause Im a lazy bastard , I leave this unfinished Baby Animal in my garage for a couple of years.

It doesnt sound and I have no clue why.

Im sending you some photos, and maybe you find the problem

IM feeding it with the 48v of one of my powerplants that works perfect with other Pres.

Please let me know if you need some more photos
20210204_120521.jpg
20210204_114914.jpg
20210204_114842.jpg
Thanks in advance.

All the best

p.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

papiblu

Post by papiblu »

More photos
20210204_120126.jpg
20210204_120723.jpg
20210204_120446.jpg
Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

papiblu wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:21 pm
Dear Joe,
cause Im a lazy bastard , I leave this unfinished Baby Animal in my garage for a couple of years.

It doesnt sound and I have no clue why.

Im sending you some photos, and maybe you find the problem

IM feeding it with the 48v of one of my powerplants that works perfect with other Pres.

Please let me know if you need some more photos
20210204_120521.jpg
20210204_114914.jpg
20210204_114842.jpg

Thanks in advance.

All the best

p.
With link over BD681, the trimpot shouldn't be fitted. The standard setup on black pcb is trimpot and BD681 for extra smooth reg but since you are using 48v from power plant it will be smooth. Remove trimpot.

Output transformer should be wired to +out and 0v not -out so that may stop any sound from getting out. So move wire from -out to 0v.

If still no sound check voltages at opamp sockets to 0v with no opamp fitted and with opamp fitted and let me know the voltages you get.
JLM Audio

MichaelGNunn

Post by MichaelGNunn »

Hey Joe,

I am putting together a Dual99v, and have a quick question on the transformers. The transformers in the pictures seem to be wired differently than the overlay, I assume I follow the overlay. In other words, should I connect the number on the transformers to the corresponding point on each pcb?

thanks,
MN

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

MichaelGNunn wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:19 am
Hey Joe,

I am putting together a Dual99v, and have a quick question on the transformers. The transformers in the pictures seem to be wired differently than the overlay, I assume I follow the overlay. In other words, should I connect the number on the transformers to the corresponding point on each pcb?

thanks,
MN
Yes the output transformers has 3 identical winding so can be wired in several correct ways.

Best to always follow the overlay and make sure you fit the wire link to the transformer which several people miss.
JLM Audio

MichaelGNunn

Post by MichaelGNunn »

Hi Joe, I got everything together on my dual 99V and it sounds great aside from some noise issues! I looked through the forum, and it seems someone else has had this issue. It sounds like some electrical interference or grounding issue. can this be fixed by getting a power conditioner that separates my analog equipment from digital equipment computer, or do I need to open it up?

Thanks,
MN

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

MichaelGNunn wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:27 am
Hi Joe, I got everything together on my dual 99V and it sounds great aside from some noise issues! I looked through the forum, and it seems someone else has had this issue. It sounds like some electrical interference or grounding issue. can this be fixed by getting a power conditioner that separates my analog equipment from digital equipment computer, or do I need to open it up?

Thanks,
MN
HI Michael
Do you have a sample of the noise you can send me with nothing connected to the input of the mic pre?
JLM Audio

MichaelGNunn

Post by MichaelGNunn »

Joe,

Sorry for the delay, here’s a link to a sound sample:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Qtga4fhyBNJzr2ah7

MichaelGNunn

Post by MichaelGNunn »

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:18 am

MichaelGNunn wrote: ↑

Thanks,
MN
HI Michael
Do you have a sample of the noise you can send me with nothing connected to the input of the mic pre?

Hey Joe,

I posted a broken link. This one should work! This is with all three knobs turned all the way right

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/nN99k1SjcBRZNMuW7