BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

htm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby htm » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi!

One more question about the BA. I got all of my four API-type BA:s finished and racked. They sound really good, especially on vocals (a little surprise there). I'm wondering about the gain range though. When using a tube condenser mic, that is plenty loud on other pres, I have to crank the gain all the way up to get a usable level. On drums with dynamic mics I have to go about half the way up. With a ribbon mic I thought I'd had something broken.
Is it just that one gain stage pres are like this, or could there be some kind of impedance issue with the non standard input tx I'm using?

Or should I just get the output transformars...


Thanks, Hannu

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:38 pm

htm wrote:Hi!

One more question about the BA. I got all of my four API-type BA:s finished and racked. They sound really good, especially on vocals (a little surprise there). I'm wondering about the gain range though. When using a tube condenser mic, that is plenty loud on other pres, I have to crank the gain all the way up to get a usable level. On drums with dynamic mics I have to go about half the way up. With a ribbon mic I thought I'd had something broken.
Is it just that one gain stage pres are like this, or could there be some kind of impedance issue with the non standard input tx I'm using?

Or should I just get the output transformars...


Thanks, Hannu


The output transformer will give you 6dB extra gain. But remind me which input transformers and opamp you are using?

Because depending on the opamp type RGain could be made smaller than 68R to give you more gain.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

htm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby htm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi

I'm using 1:8 input transformer with JLM25HV. How much smaller could I go from 68R?

- Hannu

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby Joe Malone » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:25 am

htm wrote:Hi

I'm using 1:8 input transformer with JLM25HV. How much smaller could I go from 68R?

- Hannu


If the transformer is wired as 1:8 properly and loaded correctly you should have almost 60dB of gain already without adding the output transformer.

What info do you have on the input transformer? If none measure all the winding for dc resistance and let me know the measurements and which winding's are connected to each other etc.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

htm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby htm » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:46 pm

The tx's are from an old AKG Tapco 6100 series mixer. No markings on them, and the manual doesn't say much.
"Custom built high nickel alloy"
"Microphone impedance matching 30 to 600 ohms"
"Common mode rejection 105 db"

I wired them the same way they were in the mixer. Three taps on each side.
Primary side: 1 + 3 for signal, 2 N.C.
Secondary : 1 ground, 2 + 3 for signal

I tested them the other way around and tried also the middle tap on the primary. The way mentioned above was the one that worked.
I'll get the multimeter out, when I get home from work and post the measurements.

htm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby htm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:28 am

Ok. Here we go. I hade a spare one to test.

Primaries
1+2 is 12,2 ohm
2+3 is 12,2 ohm
1+3 is 19,2 ohm

Secondaries
1+2 is 83,5 ohm
2+3 is 83,5 ohm
1+3 is 3,3 ohm

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby Joe Malone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 am

htm wrote:Ok. Here we go. I hade a spare one to test.

Primaries
1+2 is 12,2 ohm
2+3 is 12,2 ohm
1+3 is 19,2 ohm

Secondaries
1+2 is 83,5 ohm
2+3 is 83,5 ohm
1+3 is 3,3 ohm


Something strange about the secondary 1+ 3 = 3.3ohms ? Should be 169ohms?? Can you check that is correct or not?
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

htm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby htm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 pm

It thought it was weird too, but I checked, and its 3,3

I took another one I had lying around an it reads:
8,5 + 8,5 /15,5 primary
80,5 + 80,5/2,3 secondary

i changed the multimeter battery and the readings are the same +/- 2 ohm

the earlier reads about the same with the new battery

If you want to look at the 6100 mixer schematic, its here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 2846,d.ZWU

The input schematic is on page 13


Should I just get AE2622's from classicapi or can I get more gain out of these? I kinda wanted tu use them.

- Hannu

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby Joe Malone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:21 pm

htm wrote:It thought it was weird too, but I checked, and its 3,3

I took another one I had lying around an it reads:
8,5 + 8,5 /15,5 primary
80,5 + 80,5/2,3 secondary

i changed the multimeter battery and the readings are the same +/- 2 ohm

the earlier reads about the same with the new battery

If you want to look at the 6100 mixer schematic, its here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 2846,d.ZWU

The input schematic is on page 13


Should I just get AE2622's from classicapi or can I get more gain out of these? I kinda wanted tu use them.

- Hannu


Yes the transformer only gives 6db so is only 1:2 ratio which why you have low gain
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby Joe Malone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:22 pm

htm wrote:It thought it was weird too, but I checked, and its 3,3

I took another one I had lying around an it reads:
8,5 + 8,5 /15,5 primary
80,5 + 80,5/2,3 secondary

i changed the multimeter battery and the readings are the same +/- 2 ohm

the earlier reads about the same with the new battery

If you want to look at the 6100 mixer schematic, its here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 2846,d.ZWU

The input schematic is on page 13


Should I just get AE2622's from classicapi or can I get more gain out of these? I kinda wanted tu use them.

- Hannu


manual says the transformer only gives 6db so is only 1:2 ratio which why you have low gain
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

htm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby htm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:16 am

Darn. I must have missed that. Seems that I have to get new ones.

Thank you so much for the quick answers.

- Hannu

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby Joe Malone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:56 am

htm wrote:Darn. I must have missed that. Seems that I have to get new ones.

Thank you so much for the quick answers.

- Hannu


Since the input transformer is so low you should be able to make RGain maybe as small as 10R which would give you about 15dB extra gain. Just need to try it and see if you any oscillation or not.

Also this transformer would need Rload 10k or variable impedance 2k2 in seres with 50k log pot. If you have variable impedance the oscillation is most likely to happen at high impedance.

Also Cload of 220pF to 440pF maybe needed if you get oscillation to stop it.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

Dais3
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:29 am

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby Dais3 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:54 am

Hi Joe
Would it be possible to use an LL1528 instead of the LL1538 for the BA? Just because I have a couple of LL1528s lying around.
Many thanks
Dave

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Dais3 wrote:Hi Joe
Would it be possible to use an LL1528 instead of the LL1538 for the BA? Just because I have a couple of LL1528s lying around.
Many thanks
Dave


You can use the LL1528 but its pinout doesn't line up on the PCB so would have to be wired to the PCB. The four input pins do line up but the rest do not.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

mikeyb
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:07 am

Re: BA BA2 BA4 BAD Dual99v Build Thread

Postby mikeyb » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:33 am

Hi Joe, is there any reason why i couldn,t wire a bad pcb with separate gain pots for each section, i've not got any dual rev 10ks at the moment but have some single rev 10ks. I have some dual rev 5ks pots - could i use these instead?

Return to “JLM Audio Kits”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests