Dual 99V pre kit vs dual 99V500 pre

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Millzy

Dual 99V pre kit vs dual 99V500 pre

Post by Millzy »

Now that i've got my dual 99V pre kit built and working (very nicely too I must add) I am curious as to whether there is any sonic difference between this beast and Joe's pre-made 99V 500 pre?

Also out of interest what sonic differences are there between my dual 99V kit and Joe's TG or NV 500 pre's.

I guess now that the quality of my incoming audio has suddenly lifted a few notches, I'm curious as to maybe the next step up (if there is one) or are these other pre's just variants of tonal characteristics/options.

Appreciate any comments/experiences from anyone.

Thanks.

Millzy

Millzy

Re: Dual 99V pre kit vs dual 99V500 pre

Post by Millzy »

Anyone? Joe? I'm suprised no-one has anything to offer here.

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi Millsy

My understanding, FWIW, is that the dual 99V will sound as close as makes no difference, whether it is in rack or 500 form, assuming JLM1:4 tranny and 99V amps and that the kit has been properly assembled and wired. I've own a few 1:4 99V BA kits and have heard the 500 series, and really they are the same thing assuming adequate build quality. I suppose the major difference is that the 500 series runs of +/-15V supply, rather than the +/-24V of the kit/rack, which in theory gives the latter more headroom by a few db - I emphasise theory because by the time you're close to +/- 15V rails you've blown up anything downstream anyway.

The TG and NV 500 series are primary tonal differences rather than quality. You'd choose them because you like the sound for certain things, rather than because they are sonically better. Exactly what you'd choose them for may differ from anyone else's choice, so there's little choice but to audition them as you want and see for yourself. I know people who swear by them, I know others that weren't that fussed by them.

I confess I'm hanging out for a few of Joe's Valve BA's, but really, by the time you've explored the sonic ground of the JLM pres and kits, you're spoiled for pre choice. The "next step up" is more likely to be in the mic or downchain processing (or if you are a muso, in ongoing practice and training) than in your preamp.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

Millzy

Post by Millzy »

Hey Chrisp,

Thanks so much for your reply. Some good information there. I recently ordered a nice tube mic which I hope will work nicely with Joe's pre's, so i am doing as you suggested and also trying to improve other areas of my signal chain.

Thanks again for your insight into Joe's products.

Millzy