JLM Neve clone vs Golden Age

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

zedman

JLM Neve clone vs Golden Age

Post by zedman »

Hey, please excuse my ignorance but Im wondering if anyone had done a comparison of a Golden Age Project Pre-73 and JLM 1290 kit (yes I know it needs the xtra input stuff on it).

I already own some BA and 99v but now Im lookig for something that will give a characterisitc sound> Unfortunately I cant afford the real deal and as I havent used them either can anyone offer their subjective opinions on either Golden Age or JLM.

They work out at about the same price as each other except one is a no work option. If the JLM is as good as I expect I would prefer to go that way as then at least the monery is staying mainly in Aus.

Thanks
Z

Mully

Re: JLM Neve clone vs Golden Age

Post by Mully »

Hiya Z,
don't know if it helps you at all but I've found the 1290 to have a slightly 'silkier' tone to it while retaining the detail of the 99V. I think I prefer a straight bass through the 99V but guitar and vocal through the 1290 is simply killer and I'm keenly hunting for a better compressor option now to fully realize what this pre will do.

My Neve experience is limited but I'm actually not now interested in that pursuit since building the 1290 and once the killer compressor is sorted, all bets are off!

Cheers mate.

zedman

Post by zedman »

Hey Mully, thanks for the post, Ive know someone who has the Golden Age and seeing as though I could probably maybe ask for a loan Im more inclined to go JLM.

I will be interested in the sound differences in BA, 99v and 1290, but Im also considering waiting a bit more and maybe also get some valve BA.

I might have to save for a bit longer but if things end up like how happy I am with the JLM Ive already got, then it will be worth the wait.

Z

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

The trouble with the Golden Age pre is that you need to send them to Joe anyway to upgrade the cheap transformers and generally tweak the thing (I know a Golden Age owner who had to do exactly this to get rid of the woolly mush that the stock unit calls its low end). By the time you've done that, why not go for the JLM thing from the start?

The Golden Age is deliberately built to meet a cost point. JLMs are built to meet a sound spec. You choose.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.