AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

HI

Yes just back from my Xmas trip away to a land of no internet or mobile phones. Very strange and very quiet :-)

I see you got it worked out fine and your module looks fantastic I must say. The transformer 2 x 12vac secondary just needed to be wired in series to get the high enough voltage for the 48v to work.

If anyone else is building one of these i reccommend using a 2 x 22vac transformer wired as centre tap instead of the 2 x 12vac as this will give full wave rectification and a smoother unregulated rail to the regs to work with when under full load.

If only using a 30VA transformer the normal 1Amp diodes are fine on the powerstation as your transformer will sag before 1Amp is ever reached.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

sr1200

Post by sr1200 »

I have te ACDC 3 rail kit. I was wondering if i could mod it in a way to take the negative rail and make it into another positive rail that i can bring down to 12V.

Besides changing the LM337, would I have to reverse anything else? (can this be done on this board?)

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

sr1200 wrote:I have te ACDC 3 rail kit. I was wondering if i could mod it in a way to take the negative rail and make it into another positive rail that i can bring down to 12V.

Besides changing the LM337, would I have to reverse anything else? (can this be done on this board?)
Cannot be done without cutting the PCB tracks up.
JLM Audio

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Hi,
I have the powerstation built and fired up. The problem is that 4 of the 5 pots for adjusting the voltage are not doing anything. The only one that is working correctly is the center pot (#3).
This morning I took the pots out and measured them with the ohmmeter, they all work as they should. I put them back in, all in different places, and got the same result. Is something not grounded properly? If this was the case, wouldnt all the pots be non functional? I am using the world power Xformer, with 2 12volt secondaries tied to be 1 24 volt supply. I have the 0 volt tied to the first (0V) hole on the input side of the powerstation, and the 24 volt line to the center (AC). Triple checked for any errors in assembly, there are none. D is strapped to center for the 48 volt supply.Thanks for any help..........

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Mark S wrote:Hi,
I have the powerstation built and fired up. The problem is that 4 of the 5 pots for adjusting the voltage are not doing anything. The only one that is working correctly is the center pot (#3).
This morning I took the pots out and measured them with the ohmmeter, they all work as they should. I put them back in, all in different places, and got the same result. Is something not grounded properly? If this was the case, wouldnt all the pots be non functional? I am using the world power Xformer, with 2 12volt secondaries tied to be 1 24 volt supply. I have the 0 volt tied to the first (0V) hole on the input side of the powerstation, and the 24 volt line to the center (AC). Triple checked for any errors in assembly, there are none. D is strapped to center for the 48 volt supply.Thanks for any help..........
Have you got the regs in the correct place 3 x LM317 in reg 1 to reg 3 and 2 x LM337 in reg 4 and 5?
If you do have the regs correct send me some large in focus well lit photos to my email of the PCB top and bottom and wiring and I will check it over.
JLM Audio

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your quick reply. I found the problem. It was me. I was testing the supply from left to right ( 5 to 1),and from top to bottom (48v to neg #2). Of course, this would make it so that the probe was testing 48v and I was turning the pot for Neg #2. And that would make it so that #3 was correct from that side. Im a dolt. Thanks for your help...........

Gavthirdphase

Post by Gavthirdphase »

Hi I am building a Neve 1073 clone and I was wondering if I could power just one 1073 from the powersation initially so I have the option to make more 1073s at a later date.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Gavthirdphase wrote:Hi I am building a Neve 1073 clone and I was wondering if I could power just one 1073 from the powersation initially so I have the option to make more 1073s at a later date.
Yes that will work fine :D
JLM Audio

mp3

Post by mp3 »

Hi,

I've been considering dipping my foot in the DIY world for a few years now, so to get things started, I bought a pair of Spectra Sonics 110 cards, completed and racked minus the power supply. Which leads me here...

The previous owner stated this: "There's a DC inlet plug already installed on the back panel of the case for use with a "wall-wart" type of step-down power transformer."

So my question is:
1. will your powerstation or ac/dc PCB run off such a wall wart?
2. what, if any, component changes are necessary?
2. what are the specs I need to seek for said wall wart?

Thanks,

Mark

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mp3 wrote:Hi,

I've been considering dipping my foot in the DIY world for a few years now, so to get things started, I bought a pair of Spectra Sonics 110 cards, completed and racked minus the power supply. Which leads me here...

The previous owner stated this: "There's a DC inlet plug already installed on the back panel of the case for use with a "wall-wart" type of step-down power transformer."
Are you sure there is no internal power supply in the rack already? or does the DC connector wire direct to the 110 cards which would mean it was run on 24vdc wall wart perviously and would have no 48v phantom power? If you are not sure send some photo's to my email.
So my question is:
1. will your powerstation or ac/dc PCB run off such a wall wart?
Yes Powerstation or AC/DC can run of a AC wall wart of 24vac but NOT a DC wall wart. The socket will work with AC as the outside chassic connection will be 0v and the inner will wire to one of the AC in on the powerstation or AC/DC PCB.
2. what, if any, component changes are necessary?
No component changes needed.
2. what are the specs I need to seek for said wall wart?
A 24vac 500mA to 1A will give you +24vdc to run the spectrasonic cards and 48v for phantom power. And you only need a AC/DC kit.
JLM Audio

mp3

Post by mp3 »

Here's a link to the seller's pic: http://img14.imageshack.us/i/spectrasonicspics001.jpg/

I haven't received the unit yet.

He said that he ran the unit (and some other 24vdc preamps) off an external JLM Power Station, and he said he did have 48v phantom power. From that pic, it looks like the DC connector is wired directly to the cards. Perhaps that's the better solution for me as well? or perhaps one of your line lump power supplies plus the TREX2 board)?? My only limitation is that I have no way of doing metalwork right now.

Thanks for your help!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mp3 wrote:Here's a link to the seller's pic: http://img14.imageshack.us/i/spectrasonicspics001.jpg/

I haven't received the unit yet.

He said that he ran the unit (and some other 24vdc preamps) off an external JLM Power Station, and he said he did have 48v phantom power. From that pic, it looks like the DC connector is wired directly to the cards. Perhaps that's the better solution for me as well? or perhaps one of your line lump power supplies plus the TREX2 board)?? My only limitation is that I have no way of doing metalwork right now.

Thanks for your help!
Ok from the photo's the best way to go will be a TREX2 and a external 48v SMPS. So the 48v can plug into the existing DC connector if it is a 2.1mm and the trex 2 could bolt to the bottom panel where the yellow and green wire are joined. You would just need to sperate tthe 2 power wires from the 2 spectrasonic modules and bring them seperate to the trex2. Make sure you add a 500mA fuse directly after the DC connector to protect everything. Also a power switch just before that would also be a good idea. take the 48v power from the 48v input to the trex2 for the go between kits.
JLM Audio

sheep_production

Post by sheep_production »

hi

im building a neve project without phantom. im using a ac/dc ver 3. for power. i only need +24v for this. earlier in this post there is a drawing for24v +phantom. could u make me one for only 24v. so i dont have to stuff in what is not needed.

best regards

lasse

desol

Post by desol »

Why not just stuff as per the diagram? It already shows everything you need.

Then you have the 48v there just in case...

sheep_production

Post by sheep_production »

i will not need phantom cause i only use quality condenser mics :wink: . they all have there own powersupply...the less i have to stuff the higher are chances i have it lying around in my drawer.