AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

alistair wrote:Hi Joe-

I've got a funny little issue I can't figure out on my Powerstation.

It's set up to run 3x 24v lines, with C1 and C2 removed. When testing outside of it's case, it's working perfectly with no issues whatsoever.
OK
However, in it's case, it's blowing fuses instantly on start up. I initially thought it was the voltage regs making contact, but I don't believe this is true. I'm able to easily measure resistance between the LM317's and the case (all close values aswell), and prior to blowing the fuse the last time, I could measure resistance between the LM337's and the case, however after blowing the fuse I now get a resistance that is constantly ticking up (starting at around 200ohms and working up- it doesn't seem to want to stop). I'm guessing this isn't normal?
This is just the capacitors around the regs charging from the meter that makes the value go up and up. That is fine and normal. As long as there is no dead short between the regs metal tab and chassis.
All resistors seem to be checking out fine, and as mentioned, it's working great when not in the case. Any ideas?
If the fuse blows and nothing on the powerstation is smoking then something is wired wrong and making a dead short.

When you say out of case is working I presume with no load attached to the powerstation dc outputs?

When you are testing in the case and the fuse is blowing is this still with nothing attached to the DC outputs on the powerstation?

Need to see me some photo's of your wiring and mounting in the case to see what is going on. Send them to my email so I can check them over. Large in focus macro on photo's are best.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

alistair

Post by alistair »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, there is nothing connected to the outputs whatsoever. They are wired up to a 4pin XLR jack (3x 24v rails, and the 4th pin is ground), which is where I have been testing them, but the XLR is not attached to a load. Nothing is changed when I move it into the case, except for the voltage regulators being attached to the case. It is mounted on it's side, so they are the only connection to the case (apart from the case ground wire which runs to a ground point on the chassis- when testing outside the case this has still been attached).

I'll pull it apart again tomorrow and take some photos. Cheers!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

HI Alistair did you work out the problem after our emails?
JLM Audio

kante1603

Post by kante1603 »

Hello Joe,

just wanted to say a big "thank you" for the new ac/dc -layout-absolutely great to print the modification guides on the back same as putting on more 0v-points and so forth.Now it´s even easier than before (it was easy though :D ) to build these great little beasts!And black is beautiful too!

Congrats!!!

Best from germany,

Udo.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

kante1603 wrote:Hello Joe,

just wanted to say a big "thank you" for the new ac/dc -layout-absolutely great to print the modification guides on the back same as putting on more 0v-points and so forth.Now it´s even easier than before (it was easy though :D ) to build these great little beasts!And black is beautiful too!

Congrats!!!

Best from germany,

Udo.
8) :D
JLM Audio

vic purple

Post by vic purple »

Hi joe!
Denmark Calling...
Im using one or your Ac/Dc audio kits in my neve 1073 clone.
I use a Transduktor transformer 2*20volts - 1.25 curr.A
My problem is that I only get 240mv AC at my input of the Audio kits? not much :?
and nothing at the output...
The Transformer is brand new and wiring should be right...

Hope you can help out on this one´..

Thanks a lot
Vic

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

vic purple wrote:Hi joe!
Denmark Calling...
Im using one or your Ac/Dc audio kits in my neve 1073 clone.
I use a Transduktor transformer 2*20volts - 1.25 curr.A
My problem is that I only get 240mv AC at my input of the Audio kits? not much :?
and nothing at the output...
The Transformer is brand new and wiring should be right...

Hope you can help out on this one´..

Thanks a lot
Vic
When you say audio kit? Do you mean you AC/DC AC input or 1290 power input? And same for output what do you mean?

If you are only sending 240mV to the AC/DC then you will get nothing out of it. Check the power transformer secondaries when they are not connected to anything to see you get 20vac on each winding. Make sure you have the meter on AC volts. If you do not have 2 x 20vac then there is a problen in the wiring or the fuse is blown.

Need to give me much clear info for me to be able to help you.
JLM Audio

vic purple

Post by vic purple »

Hi Joe!
Thanks for the quick reply :D
I use a JLM AC/DC Power supply.
The problem is the transformer, I dont get anything out on the secondary side of the transformer.
The transformer is a 2*20V
Sec.1 Green-Red and Sec.2 Browm-Blue
My wiring is Green to ac - Blue to ac and red/brown to 0v
yellow - yellow to 220V
Like the wiring for Digikey Amveco Toroid series of transformers.
I have put the transformer on the inside on the case with a standard kit to hold it - to rubber plates a metal plate.

Could it be that the transformer was dead fra the start, my wiring is wrong or maybe shorts between my soldering pads?
Have to mention that this is my first Diy project :P
thanks a lot
Vic

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

vic purple wrote:Hi Joe!
The problem is the transformer, I dont get anything out on the secondary side of the transformer.
yellow - yellow to 220V
I have put the transformer on the inside on the case with a standard kit to hold it - to rubber plates a metal plate.

Could it be that the transformer was dead fra the start, my wiring is wrong or maybe shorts between my soldering pads?
thanks a lot
Vic
I think it would be best to get someone qualified to check the 240v wiring is correct with the correct inline fuse and power switch to legal requirements. As it is very unlikely to have a dead new transformer.

Also with toroids always make sure the top metal plate and bolt do not touch the lid of the case or this will case a shorted turn will make the transformer to overheat.
JLM Audio

vic purple

Post by vic purple »

Joe Malone wrote:
vic purple wrote:Hi Joe!
yellow - yellow to 220V

thanks a lot
Vic

I think it would be best to get someone qualified to check the 240v wiring is correct with the correct inline fuse and power switch to legal requirements. As it is very unlikely to have a dead new transformer.

Also with toroids always make sure the top metal plate and bolt do not touch the lid of the case or this will case a shorted turn will make the transformer to overheat.
Hi Joe!
I found the problem!
I have placed the lm337 in the wrong side on the PCB, think that have blown my transformer?
Now I have put the the lm337 in the right place and with a new transformer I get about 60V ac on both the 24 and 48 v? I look for shorts on the PCB over and over again but cant find any. Could you please help me on this one too?
It aint easy . to be a newbie :?
Thanks a lot - Vic

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Hi Joe!
I found the problem!
I have placed the lm337 in the wrong side on the PCB, think that have blown my transformer?
Not without a lot of smoke coming out of the LM337 and several other parts which would all be dead.
Now I have put the the lm337 in the right place and with a new transformer I get about 60V ac on both the 24 and 48 v?
Impossible without every 1000uF cap on the PCB exploding first. I think you multimeter is not working properly or it is operator error like usually measuring from a chassis which is not wired to the case point on the power kit instead of measuring from 0v point on the PCB will give fault measurements like this.
I look for shorts on the PCB over and over again but cant find any. Could you please help me on this one too?
It aint easy . to be a newbie :?
Thanks a lot - Vic
1. Which winding on the original power transformer is open circuit using a ohmmeter?
2. Do you have a power switch and inline mains fuse to the correct value which should be written on the power transformer?
3. Are you taking all your DC measurements from the 0v on the DC side of the kit?
4. What AC voltages do you measure across each transformer secondary?

Best to email me some large clear macro on in focus photo's of your wiring and PCB so I can check it over.
JLM Audio

permeke

Post by permeke »

Have some nice 30V AC transfomers here .Question. I need only +24V.
Will once rectified ( if my calculatiion is correct should give me around 40 VDC ) not too much as Vin for the LM317 ?

and if so , can I put a resistor at the AC side to bring down the voltage? One on each leg ?
Advice welcome.

thanks

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

permeke wrote:Have some nice 30V AC transfomers here .Question. I need only +24V.
Will once rectified ( if my calculatiion is correct should give me around 40 VDC ) not too much as Vin for the LM317 ?

and if so , can I put a resistor at the AC side to bring down the voltage? One on each leg ?
Advice welcome.

thanks
30vac will give you roughly 45vdc unreg unloaded usually. If it is a 15VA to 30VA transformer that will be fine as the transformer itself will have enough internal resistance to limit the power up current from hurting the LM317. But if it is a larger VA you may need to add some resistance inline.
JLM Audio

permeke

Post by permeke »

thanks

micdaddy

Post by micdaddy »

Hello,

I have here a JLM powerstation. I'm using V1 V2 and 48V.

C1 and C2 on the powerstation went puffy on me only after having it burnt in and working properly for >24hours.

The condition of which they went puffy, I was firing up 4x 1290 preamps from V1, and using 48V from the powerstation to supply 4x gobetweens.

3 of the 4 gobetweens phantom LED lit on first power up, 1 lit only momentarily and then went dead. All 4 channels did measure proper phantom voltage that was available at the powerstation terminal, including the channel with the now dead LED.

I'm now experiencing hum on any channel that has phantom engaged. The 3 LEDS that initially lit up are all still working properly, phantom is still available on all channels, but I seem to have pissed off the powerstation as C1 and C2 are puffy.

My question would the dead LED gobetween suggest a fault that would cause the caps to bulge, i.e. a possible short, or too much current draw? They appear to still be functioning as there is still phantom voltage at the powerstation terminals, though clearly they have been worked over and need to be replaced. Before I go puffing out more capacitors I'd like to wrap my head around root cause.

Are these filter/reservoir caps for the 48V section or what exactly are C1 C2 doing? Is there a schematic I missed for the powerstation? Thanks!

Ben