Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

Thewotan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:49 am
Hi there!

I intend to build a PSU for an 11 slot 51x rack (although it will be used mainy for 500 modules, I would like to have the option to add some 51x in the near future). I got the project second hand from a user in groupdiy. It came with a Kraftwerk PSU populated, but unforunately it was ruined when I tried to desolder most of the components, so I decided to use a Powerstation (Ver. 3) PCB that I had lying around with the Kraftwerk heatsink and with a 2x 25v 3.2 Amp transformer, but I'm going to buy new most of the BOM.

My question is: what wattage should the resistors be? Does 1/4 W suffice for all of them or are there any that should be higher?

Thanks for your help!
We use 0.6w metal film but 0.25w is fine. The large 47R is 1W. The Powerstation to run a full rack of 500/51X will need more capacitor bank added to the +/-V as it only has 2 x 3300uF and you will need 2 x 10000uF or more and extreme heatsinking
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Thewotan

Post by Thewotan »

Hey Joe!

First, I'd like to thank you for taking some time to reply me. Appreciate it!

Taking a look to the schematic (BTW, the link on the first page takes me to Power station Ver. 2 schematic. I don't know if there is a lot of differences with ver 3, but I suppose there is not) I understand that the capacitors that conform the bank are capacitors C5, C6, C7, C8, C9 and C10. Is that correct?

I'm a bit lost as how it adds up to 2x3300uF, though 🤔. I got the 1000uF capacitors that came with the Krauftwerk kit. I'll study how to implement those on the Power station PCB and report back 😉

Regarding heatsinking... I have the big heatsink of the Krauftwerk kit, and the silicon tubing for the regulators. I was thinking to follow the Krauftwerk heatsinking guidelines to heatsink this. Am I missing something and maybe it is not a good idea?

Easiest thing would be ordering a new Krauftwerk PCB, but living in Europe it is pretty prohibitive between shipping and import taxes. Next easiest thing would be getting one from one of the 51x alliance European vendors, but they only sell complete kits, and I have most of the expensive bits (enclosure, transformer, heatsink). So I'd like to make this powerstation work, but maybe it is going to be a headache...

Once again, thank you for your help. I'll keep on reading this thread, in case some of my doubts have been resolved before (I did read half of it, but I'm close to make an order to Mouser and I'd like to include what I need for this in that order)

Cheers and happy new year!

Fon

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Thewotan wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 am
Hey Joe!

First, I'd like to thank you for taking some time to reply me. Appreciate it!

Taking a look to the schematic (BTW, the link on the first page takes me to Power station Ver. 2 schematic. I don't know if there is a lot of differences with ver 3, but I suppose there is not) I understand that the capacitors that conform the bank are capacitors C5, C6, C7, C8, C9 and C10. Is that correct?

I'm a bit lost as how it adds up to 2x3300uF, though 🤔. I got the 1000uF capacitors that came with the Krauftwerk kit. I'll study how to implement those on the Power station PCB and report back 😉

Regarding heatsinking... I have the big heatsink of the Krauftwerk kit, and the silicon tubing for the regulators. I was thinking to follow the Krauftwerk heatsinking guidelines to heatsink this. Am I missing something and maybe it is not a good idea?

Easiest thing would be ordering a new Krauftwerk PCB, but living in Europe it is pretty prohibitive between shipping and import taxes. Next easiest thing would be getting one from one of the 51x alliance European vendors, but they only sell complete kits, and I have most of the expensive bits (enclosure, transformer, heatsink). So I'd like to make this powerstation work, but maybe it is going to be a headache...

Once again, thank you for your help. I'll keep on reading this thread, in case some of my doubts have been resolved before (I did read half of it, but I'm close to make an order to Mouser and I'd like to include what I need for this in that order)

Cheers and happy new year!

Fon
Sorry 3300uF should have been 3000uF = 3 x 1000uF. 3000uF for +V1 & +V2 and a second 3000uF for -V1 & -V2
JLM Audio

Thewotan

Post by Thewotan »

Ooooohhh, right!

I don't know much about electronics but I was very puzzled with those 3300uF !

I have the 3300 uF capacitors of the Kraftwerk kit. Those would add up to 9900 uF (3x3300 uF) per +-V. Would that be enough or would it be better to go above 10.000 uF?

Cheers and gracias!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Thewotan wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:18 am
Ooooohhh, right!

I don't know much about electronics but I was very puzzled with those 3300uF !

I have the 3300 uF capacitors of the Kraftwerk kit. Those would add up to 9900 uF (3x3300 uF) per +-V. Would that be enough or would it be better to go above 10.000 uF?

Cheers and gracias!
9900uF is fine
JLM Audio